Transfer comes as United Nations Normal Meeting is holding its first emergency session over ongoing battle in Ukraine.
- US publicizes plans to expel 12 Russian diplomats from nation’s UN mission in New York.
- UN Normal Meeting holds emergency assembly on Ukraine.
- ICC prosecutor says he plans to launch investigation into alleged conflict crimes, crimes in opposition to humanity in Ukraine.
- Excessive-level talks between Kyiv and Moscow finish with no settlement besides to maintain speaking.
- US, UK, EU, Canada impose sanctions on Russia’s central financial institution.
- Civilian loss of life toll now stands at 352 individuals, together with 14 kids, Ukraine’s well being ministry says.
- Greater than 500,000 individuals have fled Ukraine since Russian invasion started, UN says.
- FIFA and UEFA droop Russia from worldwide soccer.
Listed here are the newest updates:
US to expel 12 Russian diplomats from UN mission
The US has introduced plans to expel 12 Russian diplomats from Moscow’s mission to the United Nations in New York.
In a press release on Monday, the US mission to the UN mentioned it had began the method of expelling the diplomats for “participating in espionage actions which might be hostile to our nationwide safety”. It described the diplomats as “intelligence operatives”.
Denouncing the US transfer as “hostile”, Russia’s UN Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia advised reporters the diplomats had been requested to depart by March 7.
ICC publicizes plans to launch investigation
The Worldwide Felony Courtroom (ICC) prosecutor says he plans to launch an investigation into the continued Russian invasion of Ukraine, saying there’s a “cheap foundation” to imagine that conflict crimes have taken place.
Karim A A Khan mentioned the probe would look into alleged crimes dedicated by “any occasion to the battle on any a part of the territory of Ukraine”, including that his workplace will proceed with the investigation “as quickly as potential”.
“I’m happy that there’s a cheap foundation to imagine that each alleged conflict crimes and crimes in opposition to humanity have been dedicated in Ukraine,” Khan mentioned in a press release.
Banning Russian flights will not be off the desk: White Home
The White Home mentioned barring Russian flights over the USA will not be off the desk however there had not been a choice made on the matter.
“No choice is off the desk,” White Home Press Secretary Jen Psaki advised reporters. Psaki famous there are a whole lot of US airways that fly over Russia to get to Asia and different elements of the world. “We consider a spread of things,” she mentioned.
EU slaps 26 further Russians with sanctions
The European Union has imposed sanctions on 26 extra Russians, together with oligarchs, senior officers and an vitality insurance coverage firm, bringing the overall of individuals focused to 680.
EU headquarters mentioned these listed embody “oligarchs and businessmen lively within the oil, banking and finance sectors”, authorities officers, high army brass and “propagandists who contributed to unfold anti-Ukrainian propaganda and promote a optimistic angle in direction of the invasion of Ukraine”.
Welcome to Al Jazeera’s persevering with protection of the Ukraine-Russia disaster.
Learn all of the updates from Monday, February 28, right here.